Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Research Engineer
Post date: 10/01/2021
[This position is closed]
Location: Princeton, NJ
At Global Engineering and Materials, Inc. (GEM), we provide modeling and simulation R&D services to government-sponsored programs. In this role, you will independently conduct research with a focus on CFD modeling, while interfacing with team members to build multiphysics models (e.g., coupling CFD with solid mechanics Abaqus models). Imminent projects include investigating the process-structure-property-performance (PSPP) relationship of various manufacturing processes, such as composite manufacturing, additive manufacturing, and heat-treating of metals.
- Develop CFD models using either commercial software or in-house codes to simulate complex thermal-fluid phenomena across a wide range of Reynolds and Mach numbers.
- Learn novel methodologies from literature and implement them into the current capability.
- Design and conduct effective verification and validation of models.
- Extract data and provide meaningful interpretation of data from simulations.
- Build pipelines to automate repetitive tasks.
- Communicate with experimentalists to design tests and gather data. Communicate with modelers to co-develop models and coordinate co-simulation for multiphysics.
- Write technical reports and present research results to sponsors.
- Take ownership of research projects: identify research directions, determine technical approaches, define tasks, and write research proposals collaboratively with team members.
- A Ph.D. degree in mechanical engineering or related fields is preferred.
- Fundamental understanding of fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and thermodynamics.
- Fundamental understanding of numerical methods to solve partial differential equations, e.g., finite difference, finite volume, and finite element.
- Master at least one programming language (Fortran, C/C++, Python, MATLAB, etc.).
- Experience in implementing user-subroutines and algorithms to enhance CFD simulation.
- Good oral and writing communication skills. Effective in conveying technical concepts to team members with different backgrounds. Proficient in presenting research results in conference talks, internal meetings, and written reports.
- Quick learner, and willing to grow your capability beyond CFD, e.g., finite element analysis, computational material science, and machine learning.
- Expertise in CFD simulation of multiphase flow, phase change, turbulence, and fluid-structure interaction.
- Familiarity with StarCCM+ and Abaqus.
- Proficient in creating CAD models and generating meshes for CFD simulations.
- Familiarity with machine learning and/or artificial intelligence.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.