Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Research Engineer
Post date: 01/10/2022
Location: Princeton, NJ
This position is closed on 02/10/2022.
At Global Engineering and Materials, Inc. (GEM), we provide modeling and simulation R&D services to government-sponsored programs. In this role, you will independently conduct research with a focus on CFD modeling, while interfacing with team members to build multiphysics models (e.g., coupling CFD with solid mechanics Abaqus models). Imminent projects include: (1) modeling the process-structure-property-performance (PSPP) relationship of manufacturing processes, such as composite manufacturing, additive manufacturing, and metal heat treatment. (2) characterization of unsteady-flow-induced load on the aircraft structural components.
- Develop CFD models using commercial software (primarily StarCCM+).
- Learn and comprehend in-house CFD codes, both legacy codes and open-source, ready-to-use codes (e.g., FEniCS, OpenFoam). Make customization to solve project-specific problems.
- Manage large data files (> 100 GB): visualization (e.g., Tecplot and Paraview) and post-processing (e.g., Bash scripting, Matplotlib, and MATLAB). Keep good documentation of codes, applications, and data files.
- Validate simulation results against literature findings, experiment measurements, and basic physical laws.
- Independently interpret simulation results and draw conclusions.
- Provide input of monthly technical reports and presentations for the project telecon with sponsors.
- Communicate with experimentalists to design tests and gather data. Communicate with modelers to learn/customize in-house codes and co-develop models.
- Assist in writing research proposals.
- A Ph.D. degree in mechanical engineering or related fields is required.
- Experience in handling large CFD codes (> 10,000 lines) is strongly preferred.
- >3 years of experience with at least one of the following languages: C, C++, Fortran, and Python.
- Fundamental understanding of fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and thermodynamics.
- Fundamental understanding of CFD methods to solve Navier-Stokes equations, e.g., finite difference, finite volume, and finite element.
- Good oral and writing communication skills. Effective in conveying technical concepts to team members with different backgrounds. Proficient in presenting research in conference talks, internal meetings, and written reports.
- Quick learner, and willing to grow your capability beyond CFD, g., computational material science and machine learning.
- Expertise in CFD simulation of thermal-fluid coupling, multiphase flow, phase change, turbulence, or fluid-structure interaction.
- Familiarity with StarCCM+ and Abaqus.
- Proficient in creating CAD models and generating mesh for CFD simulations.
- Familiarity with machine learning and/or artificial intelligence.
Please provide resume AND cover letter if interested.